Essay topic: Ethical considerations in healthcare
Ethical Resource Allocation [WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 4]
Prior to beginning work on this discussion, read Chapter 8 of the textbook and the articles Ethical Nursing Care Versus Cost Containment: Considerations to Enhance RN Practice; Probing Our Moral Values in Health Care: The Pricing of Specialty Drugs (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.; and Unpredictable Drug Shortages: An Ethical Framework for Short-Term Rationing in Hospitals.
Work through the simulation titled Resource Allocation from the end of Chapter 8 of your course text. Review the various options in the simulation, then create a solution to the scenario to meet the requirements.
Resource Allocation is attached
You will need to provide your accounting of each area you will be keeping with the total at the end at the beginning of your post before you provide your discussion. Here is a brief synopsis of the simulation regarding the hospital’s budget and dilemma:
- One 35-year-old cancer patient who needs significant time with the doctor, medical supplies, tests, and around the clock care. Cost: $135 million
- Emergency Room operations for daily care and treatment of about 100 people (around $365,000 a year). Cost: $155 million
- Two senior patients who need hip replacement surgery. Cost: $50 million
- 10 patients (ranging in age from 18 to 45) receiving assistance in your inpatient drug/alcohol rehab unit. Cost: $100 million
- An MRI unit that is on the fritz and could die any day. Replacement cost: $170 million
- One of your two X-ray machines is inoperable and must be replaced. Cost: $40 million
- Ambulance drive-in area was damaged and needs to be repaired. Cost: $15 million
- Training needs for nursing staff for certification requirements. Cost: $35 million
- TOTAL: $700 million.
For this discussion, address the following:
- You have $700 million in expenses and only $500 million to work with. How do allocate your resources?
- Who gets treated, who should wait, and why?
- What about your facilities?
- Determine what you plan to do, and explain your reasoning as well as the ethical considerations behind your decision.
error: Content is protected !!