Child with Autism Functional Behavioral Assessment Report
GEL1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
PC2.3: Demonstrate integrity through the application of relevant codes of conduct and social responsibility within one’s profession.
Using one of the following referral case studies, develop and outline a comprehensive Functional Behavioral Assessment Report. The specific objective of your Functional Behavioral Assessment Report is to demonstrate synthesis of the course material related to FBA’s as they have been presented in the course. The FBA Report should be specifically related to only one of the following case scenarios.
Choose ONE of the following case scenarios for your Assignment:
- A third-grade student in a public elementary school has been referred for behavior problems continuously for the past three months. This student is demonstrating consistently disruptive behaviors in this classroom and in other settings within the school (lunch, recess, specials, etc.). Disruptive behaviors have been termed “aggressive” and “non-compliant” by school staff.
- Johnny is a six-year-old child with autism. His communication skills are significantly deficient, and he demonstrates a wide variety of problem behaviors. Most concerning is the tendency for him to demonstrate self-injurious behavior that has recently increased in frequency and intensity. An emergency room visit was necessitated by a recent incident of this behavior. Some of Johnny’s more intense characteristics related to autism spectrum disorders include repetitive and ritualistic behavior patterns and an apparent need to collect and acquire a variety of specific tangible items, such as Hot Wheels cars and Legos. Johnny is generally only “well behaved” when access to these items is free and frequent.
- Utilize the Unit 9 Assignment Template as a model for your report.
- At a minimum, your FBA Report must include discussion of the required components as reviewed at the beginning of Chapter 12.
- For each of those components, you should include specific details as they relate to the referral scenario you are addressing. Details would include descriptions of the assessment tools, forms, and procedures that would have been implemented.
- It is not necessary to report actual scores or responses of completed assessment forms and tools, but you should include some detailed information that could have been gained by utilizing such tools and procedures within the context of the case scenario you are working on. DO NOT simply list items.
- It is not necessary, nor appropriate, to include ALL of the assessment tools, forms, and procedures reviewed in the course. Be judicious in your choices and make good clinical decisions on what assessment procedures you are including.
- Develop hypotheses related to the function of the target behavior based on fictional specifics of the tools and procedures you have described in your report.
- All tools, forms, and procedures reviewed in Units 1–9 should be considered when developing the components to be included in your FBA Report, but, as stated above, it is not necessary to include all of them.
- It is expected that you will need to demonstrate “creativity” and/or “dramatic license” when outlining the steps of the Functional Behavioral Assessment.
Your Assignment should be written as an informative essay consistent with 6th ed. APA format, include a Title and Reference page, and should include the following elements:
- Title page: Provide your name, title of Assignment, course and unit number, and date
- Body: Answer the questions in complete sentences and paragraphs
- The assignment must be written in Standard English and demonstrate superior organization, including a highly developed viewpoint and purpose. The communication of your thoughts must be highly ordered, logical, and unified, displaying exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics (including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure).
- Reference Page: Sources in APA format
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced
- Use 6th Edition APA Formatting and Citation style
Reading and Resources
Read Chapter 13 in Conducting School-Based Functional Behavioral Assessments: A Practitioner’s Guide: “Sample FBA Reports”
This chapter will provide several examples of Functional Behavior Assessment reports.